Are you of the thought that spending more time with your hubby or wife would be wonderful or a complete nightmare? You could have a wonderful relationship but would it all go to pot if you had to spend 24/7 together?
I have been lucky( some would say unfortunate!) to have worked with my husband for the last 8 years. We live in an others pockets and spend most of our working and free time together which most of the time is great. Mostly we enjoy our time together and when things do get a bit tetchy it is usually to do with work.
In our experience, these are some rules on a successful working relationship with your spouse:
- Critically -demarcate and agree different areas of responsibility.
- Once you’ve agreed those areas of responsibility, don’t tread on one an others toes by dabbling in the others work – unless invited that is. Something that I am regularly accused of!
- Make it a rule that when you effectively leave the office, talk of work is off limits . (Perhaps the most difficult one, but if not work ends up taking over).
- When one of you disagrees with the other try and deal with it as though you would another work colleague or member of staff with tact and diplomacy rather than shooting from the hip.
- Try not to take disagreements or criticism in relation to work personally and do not get defensive. Respond as though you are dealing with another colleague or manager.
Do you have any further advice?